About VN Karazin Kharkiv National University
It is one of the oldest universities in Eastern Europe, founded in 1804. The University initiates wide program of international cooperation with 61 partners in 25 countries worldwide. The University was among founding members of Great Chartia of European Universities, (Bologna, 1988), and Eurasian University Association (Moscow, 1989). V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University ranks 3rd rate up to UNESCO “Ukrainian Top 200 Universities”.
- V N Karazin Kharkiv National University is one of the oldest universities in Eastern Europe.
- It was founded in November 1804, on the initiative of the prominent educator V.N. Karazin.
- Today the University rates among the best Ukrainian classical universities.
- The University has graduated over 130,000 students.
- Its offspring are the National Academy of Law, the National Pharmaceutical Academy, Kharkiv Medical University, Kharkiv Pedagogical University, the Kharkiv Veterinary Academy, the Kharkiv Academy of Culture, Kharkiv Economic University and other institutions of higher education.
- Kharkiv National University has 21 Schools: the School of Biology, the School of Physics & Technology, the School of Radio Physics, the School of Physics, the School of Computer Sciences, the School of Philosophy, the School of Mechanical Engineering, the School of Geology & Geography, the School of Economics, the School of Foreign Languages, the School of History, the School of Philology, the School of Fundamental Medicine, the School of Chemistry, the School of Sociology, the School of Psychology, the School of Law, the School of International Economic Relations & Tourism, the School of Further Education & Retraining, the School of Physics & Energy.
- The University employs up to 1,500 faculties.
- Kharkiv National University is one of the largest research centers in Ukraine.
- It covers virtually all spheres of modern fundamental research and incorporates the Research Institutes of Chemistry, Biology, and Astronomy, the Institute of Physics and Engineering, and the Institute of High Technologies.
- Within the framework of international programs its researchers co-operate with scientists from the USA, Canada, Russia, Germany, Turkey, China, Japan, Switzerland, Bulgaria, Great Britain and other countries.
- Since 1808 the University has its own Astronomical Observatory which is one of the leading astronomical centers of Ukraine.
- The University's Botanical Garden was founded in 1804 and is the oldest botanical garden in Ukraine.
- The University's Natural History Museum was founded in 1807 and is one of the oldest university museums in the world.
- In October 1999 Kharkiv State University gained the status of a national university and was named in honor of its founder, V.N. Karazin.
- In 2003, following the decree of the President of Ukraine, V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University obtained the highest status of a self-governing (autonomous) state university.
- V.N. Karazin Kharkiv National University is involved in extensive international cooperation and is an active member of the international community of the leading European and world universities. It cooperates with 61 partners in 25 countries of the world.
- Together with other major European universities, in 1988 Kharkiv National University signed the Great University Charter that initiated the Bologna Process.
- The University is a co-founder of the Eurasian University Association and is a member the World and the European University Associations.